Saturday, August 20, 2011

My opinion on windows 8

Most of you have probably seen the Windows 8 videos and articles from the popular gadget sites, so I will just jump right in.

Windows 8 is cool, really cool. If you read my The War for Windows post you already know what I said Microsoft needed to do. I was very pleased they took some of my advice, but I was sad they didn't take all of it. therefore, in the spirit of this blog, I will outline the things about windows 8 that made me say "WTH!!!"

1. inconsistent experience: the new user interface is great, and exactly what I wanted them to do...with one exception. When you wish to use a legacy program (i.e Office, Photoshop) the U.I. switches to the "old" windows 7 U.I.. This is the most glaring error in windows 8, and I fear it will be the Achilles' heel heel of this new platform.

2. App switching: As I said before, I am a fan of the U.I. BUT, I am not a fan of the way they implemented app switching. In its current form, you must switch through each individual app one at a time. if you only use two or three apps at a time, this isn't a problem, but I have been known to use up to ten apps at a time. This seems like the kind of thing where I would be looking for the app I want, and get into the habit of just swiping continually, and then blast right past the app I want, forcing me to start all over (there doesn't seem to be a way to go backwards). hopefully, there will be a way to view all open apps at once.

At this time, these two qualms are all I have. as time goes on I will probably have more, but for now this is it. If you want to learn more about windows 8, see the links below.



No comments:

Post a Comment